Thursday, December 18, 2008

In research for my agricultural project, here is what I have discovered...

"A single sack {of seeds}, enough to cover half an acre for a three-month growing cycle, costs $62.50, he said — more than twice what most Haitians make in a month. And the price has tripled over the past three years. "

This is a long awaited discovery; a specific price on seeds! The information came from an article on MSNBC about the devastation malnutrion poses in the country.  26 children died from starvation but DOZENS were airlifted for treatment (yay!) out of a remote area near Port (capital).  (The whole article is pretty eye opening, "Emaciated girl helped by Haiti food aid" about their situation) How is that fair? Children dying from starvation is unimaginable to me and this one area watched 26 children die that way and there was nothing they could do about it. Each bit of help gets them one step forward... and each step they so desperately need and deserve.



(To make a 180 from the suffering) Here in my blessed world; I went with my sisters and step-mom to Disney on Ice tonight. Would you believe that I was singing the loudest during this one? (You should.) The Little Mermaid was 1 of the 4 parts and it pulled at my 6 year old heart-strings. My sisters don't really relate too closely with the 1989 (whoa) classic. I still think my age group experienced the best in disney cinema, anyone agree? 


2 days home, only 6 left!
To the kids of Haiti...
Photobucket
You have to smile at that one!!

3 comments:

Jessi said...

I agree on the Disney classics. They just aren't the same anymore!

~Kim said...

I love The Little Mermaid. Thankfully Kensington has caught on and loves Ariel too!!

Enjoy your time at home...try to stay warm!

~Kim

Steph said...

wallmate.... i just spent over an hour reading your blog from start to finish. literally read the entire thing from beginning to end. ill admit i half shed a tear or two. i was gonna comment along the way but i figured you'd see comments on your most recent blog posts first. I wish i could remember now all the things i had wanted to comment on but i cant. however....one thing i did want to ask you about what that you put socks on your hands to try and catch fireflies? really? they're fireflies. i laughed out loud for like 2 minutes when i read that. ya soo the apt is cold, dark, sad, and lonely. i like having the place to myself sometimes but ill appreciate when you and mel are back. wish we could video chat. =) i got used to that. but oh well ill see you soon enough when you get back. hope youre safe and enjoying yourself. (which im sure you are) and i hope this trip to haiti is as great, if not better than the first.
-- with love
p.s. it was with much difficulty that i figured out how to post this comment