Monday, January 5, 2009

"He just didn't like my face"

Did I tell you we were refused gas on our drive down to Limbe? They just didn't want to sell it to Dr. Manno (who is Haitian). Gas is a hot commodity here and is sold in barrels on the side of the road...that is the 'black market' of Haiti. When taking us to the beach on New Years day (yes, I got to spend the day on the beach, it was SO beautiful and so nice.), Dr. Manno had to pay $10 per gallon just to get some gas. (And we thought maxing out at $4 was rough...)

My time in Limbe was amazing. I was really moved by the community. I've learned a bit more Kreyol (the Haitian way of spelling it) but I'll have to save that for a longer stay. 3 weeks is not enough time.

Mwen vle pale Kreyol (I want to speak Kreyol). Its the extent of my conversations at this point. So they are still at liberty to make fun of me in their own language, and I'm sure they do. (White girl with the crazy hair)

I think one of the biggest misconceptions about Haiti is that its dangerous. But I have never felt so safe and well taken care of before. I mean the living conditions are less than what we are used to but who's to say we really need all the things we have? I admit...life would be tough without my automatic can opener. (hehe). The people here are just like people everywhere. Teenage boys wear too much cologne and teenage girls are off in little packs giggling about who knows what (probably the boys). Little kids follow you around wanting to impress you with whatever toy they have (one little boy happened to have a machette...to each his own. He actually made a really impressive walking stick). Anywhere you go in the world, you can find danger. Anywhere you go in the world, you can find a media who will exploit that danger. So while Haiti has a long way to go, this country is full of love...and faith.

I love it here. Can you tell?

One week until home. One week until the mosquitos stop pestering me in my sleep (I swear they think its funny).

Love from Haiti.

2 comments:

~Kim said...

$10/gallon? EEIKES! With prices like that, danger is inevitable! : )

So glad you are posting and can't wait to read all of your stories.

Until then, I hope your mosquitos leave you at peace.

~Kim

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.